Following a Position Statement issued by the Environment Agency in March 2012, the use of Gypsum as an animal bedding product is restricted to DSG (Virgin Gypsum) as unlike recycled Gypsum it is not covered by waste controls, albeit the same risks exist in relation to the generation of Hydrogen Sulphide.
DSG is mainly produced as a by-product of wet flue gas desulphurisation (FGD) in large coal fired electricity generating stations through the reaction between limestone slurry and sulphur dioxide in the flue gas. The cleaning of flue gases is carried out using a finely ground limestone (or lime) which reacts with sulphur dioxide emissions to produce very pure Gypsum.
An off-white coloured Gypsum, predominantly Calcium Sulphate Dihydrate, with minor constituents of limestone and coal fly ash, suitable for animal bedding in cubicles and loose housing; Root-Bed can be used alone or mixed with other bedding materials.
Benefits of Root-Bed
- Highly absorbent (100% more than lime products);
- pH neutral – no burning to livestock;
- Reduces Ammonia emissions creating a very efficient form of Nitrogen;
- Enhances manure with Sulphur and Calcium;
- Does not support bacterial growth;
- Easily mixed in slurry store for ease of spreading;
- Cost effective alternative available all year round.
Product only available in bulk.
Typical Data for Root-Bed
Particle Size: Coarse Powder
Free Moisture: 12%